Ensuring Cybersecurity and Safety of Multi-Robot Systems
- This study addresses the potential safety concerns associated with
robotic autonomous applications with an emphasis on cyberattack detection.
A model-based approach is considered to design threat detection and
identification schemes, and feasible strategies are proposed to mitigate
potentially harmful consequences of cyberattacks. This approach relies on
a model-based detection algorithm to generate a residual and compare it
with a predefined threshold. If the residual exceeds the threshold,
the detection scheme triggers an alarm. In this manner, abnormal dynamic
behavior and abrupt system changes caused by cyberattacks can be detected.
The following list presents specific goals to be achieved:
(1) to determine whether the system is under attack or not;
(2) to calculate the amount of time between an attack and its detection;
(3) to identify the location of an attack among components; and
(4) to specify the type of attack and estimate its magnitude.
This work is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Justice.